Kat's Books

Photographer, book reviewer, mama, cat-lover in Seattle. Originally from England. I'm usually busy taking cat photos or reading books. I put my reviews up on Goodreads, Amazon, and Edelweiss+. I have MS so I'm tired a lot but it's a good excuse to lie down and read!

Links: linktr.ee/romans_mama

Review requests ~ scriptkat@hotmail.com

kamoorephoto
430

The Au Pair
Emma Wood Rous
Gemina (The Illuminae Files)
Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman
The Butchering Art: Joseph Lister's Quest to Transform the Grisly World of Victorian Medicine
Lindsey Fitzharris
Professional Reader

2018 Reading Challenge

2018 Reading Challenge
Katherine has read 36 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

Light, somewhat suspenseful YA fare with grief at its core; needed fleshing out to really hit the mark

Uncover - Amanda Linehan

I managed to read this in its entirety on a plane ride from Jacksonville, FL, back to Seattle; it’s a simple and pretty light YA read, and not too long, from a quite accomplished young writer, Amanda Linehan (she’s written three novels now, and a substantial amount of short fiction).
The premise is centered around a teen girl called Marissa, and several of her close friends, as they try to find closure to their friend Olivia’s sudden death in a car accident. They have questions as to whether it’s even an accident, and then go on a mission to find a journal that’s supposedly hidden in the woods, based on information that Olivia’s younger sister has.
Admittedly, I totally went along with this plot, although there were actually a few holes (now that I look back), so I quickly read this, but this is lighter young adult fare than most of the stuff I usually read. But the fact that it wasn’t a heavy read wasn’t really what I ended up being frustrated by.
I understand that these are teenagers and that they may not have been ready to deal with the fact that their friend had passed away. I DO feel that if you write a novel where death and subsequent grief (and questions about it) are the reasons for the story, it must be addressed with a bit more clarity and seriousness. Sometimes I felt like the language and conversation were moving in that direction but it didn’t quite get there. I may be expecting that the audience wants that but maybe it did hit at the right level? It’s hard to know; accepting the death of a teenage friend would be difficult to talk about, so the way in which the friends ‘walk through’ the story may be apt. I’ve been through sudden ‘inexplicable’ loss and I know my own reaction so I only have that to compare it to. I suppose I wanted this to be an opportunity to look at the feelings behind grief more thoroughly.
I also see immense talent in Linehan that is bursting to get through; I have another of her novels to read and review that she has written some 5 years after this one. I am interested to see how this compares to her newest book. Her writing style is fluid and incredibly easy-going for young readers who want a simple page-turner with a little bit of adventure, suspense, romance (just a bit!), and some thought-provoking ideas.