Kat's Books

Photographer, book reviewer, mama, cat-lover in Seattle. Originally from England.

You can find my reviews on Goodreads, Amazon, and Edelweiss+.

School library volunteer at my son's K8 school.  Member of ALA and YALSA.

Links: linktr.ee/romans_mama

Ben Aaronovitch, George Sullivan
Professional Reader

2019 Reading Challenge

2019 Reading Challenge
Katherine has read 0 books toward her goal of 104 books.
hide

The Salt Line

The Salt Line - Holly Goddard Jones I don't normally read many dystopian novels so this was a leap outside of my reading 'comfort' zone. Because of that, it may have taken me a little longer than usual to get my head around this new world. That said, several of the concepts, such as reliance on tablets and apps for communication and news, were pretty relevant to present-day, and the idea of wealthy thrill-seekers paying to go on an excursion like this, was also well within the scope of my imagination. What I had trouble with, more than anything, was that I didn't find myself really caring too much about the people in the book, and I didn't feel like there was enough invested in anyone to make a reader worry too much about their fates. I wanted the backstory of how those living behind the Wall to be delved into more, as well as more gory details as to how the ticks really messed with everyone! I think the ending may have been rushed through but I also wanted to rush to know that the last 'survivors' got out okay. Overall, this was a pretty 'light' read for a survivalist dystopian novel that I thought could have been fleshed out more. I just couldn't tell if that was because it wasn't my normal genre to read or not. All that said, I'm glad to NOT be living around these disgusting killer ticks!